Bit-Twist is a simple yet powerful libpcap-based Ethernet packet generator. It is designed to complement tcpdump, which by itself has done a great job at capturing network traffic.With Bit-Twist, you can now regenerate your captured traffic onto a live network! Packets are generated from tcpdump trace file (.pcap file). Bit-Twist also comes with a comprehensive trace file editor to allow you to change the contents of a trace file.
Generally, packet generator is useful in simulating networking traffic or scenario, testing firewall, IDS, and IPS, and troubleshooting various network problems.
These are just a few significant features that makes Bit-Twist unique and stands out as one of the best Ethernet packet generator package made available to the open source community.
- Runs on Mac OS X (and *BSD), Linux, and Windows
- Send multiple trace files at a time
- Send packets at a specific speed or line rate in Mbps
- Comprehensive trace file editor with control over most fields in Ethernet, ARP, IP, ICMP, TCP, and UDP headers with automatic header checksum correction
- Append user payload to existing packets after a specific header
- Select a specific range of packets and save them in another trace file
- Highly scriptable - with proper manipulation you can turn Bit-Twist into an extremely flexible packet generator tool!
Latest development version is Bit-Twist 2.0, released on April 21, 2012.Mac OS X
bittwist-macosx-2.0.tar.gz (MD5 = e6e36e267ed111b0f9a311dedc691c67)Linux
bittwist-linux-2.0.tar.gz (MD5 = 8a93e0ae5df3172dabf154ccfd31c49f)Windows (pre-compiled binary files included, Cygwin DLL is required)
bittwist-win-2.0.zip (MD5 = 038a9994ec8248649904d9736509a108) IMPORTANT: If you do not have Cygwin environment installed, download and unzip cygwin1.zip into any directory visible to your path, e.g. C:/WINDOWS/system32
You may download Bit-Twist from SourceForge.net File Releases for Bit-Twist. Older releases are available here for regression testing.
Please do not hesitate to file and send your bug report directly to me at email@example.com. Make sure you are using the latest version before submitting your bug report. Known bugs are described in Bit-Twist manual pages under the BUGS section.
Bit-Twist project is maintained and developed by Addy Yeow Chin Heng.